SSRS

Topics: Code 128
Nov 15, 2010 at 5:23 PM

Can I implement this solution in SQL Server Reporting services and if so, how?

Coordinator
Feb 2, 2011 at 1:33 PM

Hi there,

Short answer: Yes you can!

What you need is a SSRS Custom Report Item. If you've seen the SSRS documentation on this topic then you'll see it's quite terse...

Anyhow work on this feature has started today and with luck should be up and running soon.

The code will comprise;

1. Plugin for SSRS.
  2. Design-time support for Visual Studio
  3. Installer.

Stay tuned for further news...

Regards,

Adrian

Feb 2, 2011 at 1:50 PM

Excellent news. If you need any beta testing done let me know...

Stephen

Coordinator
Feb 4, 2011 at 3:53 PM
Edited Feb 4, 2011 at 3:57 PM

Stephen,

As soon as it's running I'll set it loose for all to try out.

Right now the installer is giving me the most hassle - updating the SSRS/VS configuration files during install and uninstall is tricky to say the least...

Regards,

Adrian

Coordinator
Feb 6, 2011 at 9:44 AM

Hi All,

The beta version of the SSRS CRI is live - please try it out in a suitable TEST / DEVELOPMENT environment!

Regards,

Adrian

Feb 6, 2011 at 1:22 PM
Edited Feb 6, 2011 at 3:44 PM

Adrian, how is the CRI exposed? Would I see it as a control in the toolbox in VS 2008 when building a report or do I expose it using code?

I do not see it as a Report Item in VS 2008 or RB 3.0

Stephen

Feb 6, 2011 at 3:55 PM

I was able to add the control to the toolbox items by right click in 'Toolbox Items' and selecting 'Choose Items' then browsing to C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE\PrivateAssemblies\Zen.Barcode.SSRS.Design.dll. Once it appeared in the Toolbox I added it to the design surface and configured the control in CustomReportItemDesigner.text to look at =Variables!varReportID.Value. It errored and asked me for a valid DataSetName  and DataElementName. I added a DataSet to the report but edited the DataElementName to 'test' (not a valid element'. The report rendered correctly in VS 2008 but when I published to my reportserver (localhost) the barcode did not render. I wanted to be able to render the barcode as a report element and not have it tied to a dataset (Is that possible). I will always have a dataset though that I could use.

I still have to figure out how to get the control available to RB 3.0

Stephen

Feb 6, 2011 at 4:06 PM

Restarted report services and barcode is now rendering :-)

Working on trying to get item in RB 3.0 now.

Stephen

Coordinator
Feb 8, 2011 at 7:18 AM

Hi Stephen,

Glad you got it going - I'm trying to get the documentation sorted so people won't have to do quite so much feeling around in the dark...

I've not tried using the CRI from Report Builder so please tell me how you get on!

Regards,

Adrian

Feb 8, 2011 at 9:12 AM

Adrian, is it possible to use the control without the dependency on a dataset (make it optional)? The reason I ask is that I want to include the barcode in the body of the report, at the top, for the report id number in my templates for new reports. The report id would come from a static variable value. Unfortunately I cannot use CRI's in the header/footer.

Stephen

Coordinator
Feb 12, 2011 at 4:21 AM
Edited Feb 12, 2011 at 4:52 AM

Stephen,

I suspect the problem is in how the CustomData object is created in the designer - this was difficult to get working in the first place and is probably creating an implicit dependency on DataSet.

Ultimately it might require the use of two designers unless I can figure something out...

Regards,

Adrian