This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Trying to add Zen.Barcode.SSRS.Design to VS2012 Tool box

Topics: Code 11, Code 128, Code 39, Code 93, Code EAN 13, Code EAN 8
Nov 8, 2012 at 11:06 AM

Hi,

I tried adding Zen.barcode.SSRS.Design to VS 2012 toolbox. I got the error

---------------------------
Microsoft Visual Studio
There are no components in 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE\PrivateAssemblies\Zen.Barcode.SSRS.Design.dll' that can be placed on the toolbox.
OK  

The project I used is in .NET3.5 Sp1

Can you please explain why this is occuring.

Thanks and regards

Venkatesh. S

Nov 11, 2012 at 1:15 AM

Barcode Rendering Framework has not been tested with VS2010 or VS2012.

Currently the framework only supports SQL Server 2008/2008R2 and the Business Intelligence Development Environment that is installed with that version of SQL Server (that means Visual Studio 2008)

Support for VS2012 and SQL Server 2012 is in the pipeline but no timeframe as yet.

Hope that helps

Nov 11, 2012 at 1:57 AM

Hi DementedDevil (rather a Wise Angel),

Sorry to point out. I tried it on both these platform (VS2010 and VS2012) and they did not functional well. The issue is that you create the report template in VS 2008 and then use that as RDLC in VS 2010 and VS2012 windows platform, I get an error CustomReportItem is not supported. The only option that we are left with is that we need to generate the Barcode as Image Zen.Barcode. SSRS and send that to report template. Moreover Display of Barcode in header and footer might also not work as we keep getting the error "Cannot load assembly Zen.Barcode.SSRS". If you can at least fix this problem then it will be good

Nov 16, 2012 at 6:48 PM

Hi there,

As I mentioned the Report Viewer control (RDLC) is not a supported configuration because Custom Report Items don't work - basically the Report Viewer Control uses a cut-down version of the rendering engine.

If you can switch to using the full version of SSRS 2008 or SSRS 2008 R2 then you could embed a browser window in your application and achieve a similar outcome (albeit a client-server solution)

If you want to render barcodes in the header and footer then take a look here for instructions.

Regards,

DD

Nov 17, 2012 at 2:23 AM

Hi,

I have already tried using the approach of adding the Zen.Barcode.Core and Zen,BarCode,SSRS as Report references and adding the code in code section. I followed the link that you had given earlier also. But the moment I add these files as Report references I get the error stated in the first thread. I was left with no option to use a DataSet that had image also inside it, externally generate the image and send it to the report through DataSet. Since this worked I'm happy. But still there are aspects like not having feature for embeded text in the barcode, below barcode

Thanks and regards

Venkatesh. S

Nov 18, 2012 at 2:21 AM

Hello Venkatesh

Okay two more points...

1. Have you installed the barcode SSRS plugin on the server running SSRS 2008? (I ask because I've just rebuilt my computer with Windows 8 and when I ran a report with a barcode in the header I got the same error you have seen ("file not found") and I realised I hadn't installed the barcode plugin following the rebuild!)

2. The pictures in the documentation specify an assembly version of 3.0.0.0 but you need to use 3.1.0.0 if you are using the latest build (the public key is unchanged)

I hear what you are saying regarding text as part of the barcode image - it is on the list. It just means adding a whole host of font related parameters, spacing parameters and controls to indicate whether to include/drop start, stop and checksum characters various parts of the API and for EAN/UPC barcodes some fiddly measurements to get the text positioned correctly...

Hope that helps

DD

Nov 18, 2012 at 2:24 AM

One more point - the SSRS installer assumes you are installing to the default SQL Server instance "MSSQLSERVER" and you will need to use an alternate command line to launch the installer if you need it to install under a different SQL Server instance. However please note that currently the installer is not smart enough to support being installed to multiple instances on the same machine (that too is on the list - I have the code ready but I don't have the time!)

Nov 19, 2012 at 1:25 AM

Hi DD,

I have tried all these things that you  have said.

1) I had installed and then used SQL server report viewer control for RDLC. This is the only difference. If we have to use the same in RDLC what steps should I follow

2) I was able to use the same control using SQL server 2008 R2 Business developement studio.

Regarding the embeded text in Bar code image, I have created another seperate thread. I was able to achieve using Graphic object with the image generated from SSRS design. If you can answer that thread then it will be great.

Thanks and regards

Venkatesh. S